The Department for Business and Trade Exporter of the Year Award
Have you achieved significant international growth with your product or service? Has a relationship with a business partner overseas delivered significant growth in your company’s sales and profits?
This award recognises successful British businesses that have achieved the highest and most sustainable levels of international growth through exporting products, services and solutions.
Open to any enterprise demonstrating sustainable export growth or an increase in revenues from overseas operations, judges will look for the following:
- Significant growth or expansion overseas
- Plan for sustained international growth
- Innovation in products, services or processes to enable export growth
- In-depth knowledge of overseas markets & customers
- Effective management of overseas risks and regulations
- Effective leadership and management
- An ethical and sustainable approach to business
- Strong business results
SCORING AND WEIGHTING
In this category judges will compare the extent to which each candidate has demonstrated excellence in the following areas:
- Employee & Customer Engagement
- Leadership & Innovation
- Organisational Ethics & Policies
- Financial Performance & Growth
PROPORTION OF OVERALL SCORING
25% Employee, 25% Leadership, 25% Organisational, 25% Financial
In a summary of no more than 350 words, please describe what your business does, the market in which it operates and what differentiates you from your competitors. Please include your key business achievements that are significant for your market sector or industry. (Please note that should you become a finalist the answer to this question will be used in external PR & Communications to explain who you are)
In no more than 1200 words, explain why you should win this award using the bullet points below as a guide:
- Employee & Customer Engagement 25%
- Evidence of how staff have been attracted, retained, motivated and optimised to deliver international growth.
- What systems do you have in place for measuring and improving customer satisfaction?
- How have you enabled talent at home and abroad to attract and retain international customers?
- Leadership & Innovation 25%
- Why is your exporting strategy innovative? What key innovations have helped to deliver your strategic objectives?
- How have you used pioneering technology, processes or progammes in an innovative way?
- How has the management structure and leadership philosophy of your company improved employee performance and international customer engagement over the last year?
- Add examples of how your exporting strategy has been successfully designed and led.
- Organisational Ethics & Policies 25%
- How are ethical, environmental or social impact policies or initiatives aligned with your international growth objectives or export strategy?
- How does your approach to diversity, equity and inclusion align with your ethical policy or purpose?
- How has your ethical or diversity policy or sustainability strategy supported success in overseas markets?
- Financial Performance & Growth 25%
- Describe the key objectives of your export strategy or overseas expansion plan (ie market share, profit, revenue growth, geographical expansion, etc) and how it supports the overall ambition of your business.
- Include examples of how your organisation overcame challenges or barriers to success in overseas markets.
- How will you sustain export / international growth and what trends or opportunities will support your plan?